Tips to Help Reduce Cancer Risk
Guest Post by Heather Smith
Heather Smith is an ex-nanny. Passionate about thought leadership and writing, Heather regularly contributes to various career, social media, public relations, branding, and parenting blogs/websites. She also provides value to hire a nanny by giving advice on site design as well as the features and functionality to provide more and more value to nannies and families across the U.S. and Canada. She can be available at H.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “C” word is one of the scariest words that a person can hear. Cancer is a crushing disease, and one that claims more lives than it ever should. Unfortunately, a lot of cancer can be prevented – or at least drastically reduced – if we just take the necessary precautions. Here are five ways you can help lower your risk of getting cancer:
1. Shade yourself from the sun – Skin cancer is one of the most frequent cancer culprits, and it’s one that we can readily avoid if we take preemptive measures. Wear sunscreen every day, don’t fall victim to tanning beds, and always keep a hat handy. Being out in the sun doesn’t have to be deadly – but it will be if we don’t actively protect ourselves.
2. Get moving – Keeping our bodies and hearts healthy by regularly participating in some form of exercise keeps us stronger so we can better fight off different types of cancer. Work up a sweat for 30 minutes a day and you’ll reap the benefits of a reduced cancer risk as well as toning up and fighting off several other diseases.
3. Kick smoking to the curb – We all know the consequences of smoking so why are we still doing it? Smoking is the leading cause of cancer and it’s completely preventable. There’s no better time than the present to kick this habit and clean out our lungs. An added bonus? We’ll also be protecting our throats and mouths from cancer as well. Just say no.
4. Limit or eliminate alcohol consumption – Consuming any more than one or two glasses of alcohol daily means that you’ll start to raise your risk of contracting throat, liver, larynx, colon, rectum, and mouth cancer. That’s a lot of potential places for cancer to hit. On top of that, even just one glass of alcohol daily increases your risk of breast cancer. The solution? Drastically limit alcohol consumption, or even just completely eliminate it, to play it safe.
5. Get checked regularly – Early detection is the best way to ward off any serious rounds with cancer, so get checked regularly. It’s such a simple step to take, and one that can do wonders as far as prevention and early detection. The earlier cancer is caught the higher the success rate with eliminating it, so schedule regular screenings.
While not every case of cancer can be prevented by doing everything the right way, taking as many steps to prevent it as possible can drastically reduce the risk of getting it. With more and more people falling victim to cancer every day it’s imperative to do whatever we can to ensure that we have as low of a risk as possible.
Tags: alcohol and cancer, breast cancer risk, cancer risk reduction, cancer screenings, exercise and cancer, skin cancer, smoking, smoking and cancer, sunscreen